To make the most of your happy hour and cut back on calories or sugar, try these tips from registered dietitians.
Is there anything better after a long day than an ice cold beverage?Whether it’s an ice cold beer, glass of wine or a cocktail, if you’re watching your weight or trying to stay healthy, there are a lot of empty calories in alcoholic drinks.Some beverage choices are worse than others so not overdoing it and making smart choices is key.
- Choose sweet mixers wisely - If you like your vodka mixed with something sweet, steer clear of ones with all sugar. Better option is 100% real juice. It’s better for your health and your hangover.
- Mix sparkling water with wine or liquor - It’ll help cut calories and keep you hydrated while drinking.
- Make a Bloody Mary for a burst of antioxidants.
- Use kombucha for a bubbly and gut-friendly mixer – Yes, you can use it like a soda or juice.
- Add real fruit – Real limes or berries can add flavor without all the sugar.
- Skip the booze altogether - You can find nonalcoholic wine, champagne, beer, and spirits and that will save you calories.
- Swap out syrupy liquors.
- Look for lower-calorie wines - A serving of wine has an average of 125 calories, but there are varieties that are made with natural ingredients and clock in at around 100 calories a serving.