Have you been waking up in the middle of the night, unable to fall back asleep because of a racing mind? Lots of us go through this and it may be even tougher these days with everything going on in the world. Here's a few things you can do before bed to help quiet those thoughts so you can get a full night of restful sleep.
- Avoid daytime naps and cut off caffeine around noon if you’re usually in bed by 10pm- For those who say caffeine doesn’t prevent them from falling asleep, it may also decrease deep sleep.
- Cut off screen time- Starting at least an hour before bedtime, turn off devices including smartphones, tablets and computers.
- Avoid things that cause stress in the evenings- Yes, this means work, too. Try to put off any non-urgent work-related things before bedtime.
- Set aside time in the evening to work through anything on your mind- If you’re busy all day, you may only have time to worry when you’re in bed, so designate time to get it out of the way before then. Make a to-do list for the next day or write down problems and come up with a solution for each one, so you’ve dealt with your stresses before you try to sleep.
- Do something relaxing at least 30 minutes before bed- Try reading a book or practicing meditation.
Image Credit: Pexels