TONY AWARDS: Good News for Cyndi Lauper and Tom Hanks
Cyndi Lauper has certainly made a splash on Broadway! The campy comedy Kinky Boots, for which she wrote the music, earned 13 Tony nominations -- including Best Original Score. This morning's announcement also had good news for Broadway rookie Tom Hanks, who's up for Lead Actor in a Play for Lucky Guy.
Motown: The Musical didn't fare as strongly -- though Valisia LeKae, who plays Diana Ross, and Charl Brown, who does a dead-on Smokey Robinson, both received nods. It is not among the four shows in the running for Best Musical.
Several familiar faces from TV received nominations:
- Frazier's David Hyde Pierce, received a Lead Actor nod for his work in Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike.
- Tony Shalhoub -- TV's phobic detective Monk -- was nominated for his featured role in Golden Boy.
- Judith Light, best known for the soap One Life to Live and the sitcom Who's the Boss, landed one for her featured role in The Assembled Parties.
- Laurie Metcalf, who co-starred in Roseanne, was nominated for her lead role in The Other Place.
- Andrea Martin of SCTV fame landed one for her featured role in Pippin.
The Tonys will air live from New York on